[one-users] VMs stuck in pending state
Zaina AFOULKI
2010-11-16 18:03:52 UTC

I'm following this tutorial: http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel2.0:vmg

The VMs are hanging in the pend state,
$ onevm list
ID USER NAME STAT CPU MEM HOSTNAME TIME
11 oneadmin ttylinux pend 0 0K 00 00:05:23

I read in previous emails in this list that it could be related to
insufficient memory/CPU in the node, but this is the output of

$ onehost list:
ID NAME CLUSTER RVM TCPU FCPU ACPU TMEM FMEM STAT
2 cluster02 default 0 200 200 200 2G 1.7G on

and I created a VM using the template below:

NAME = ttylinux
CPU = 0.1
MEMORY = 64

DISK = [
source = "/home/x/ttylinux/ttylinux.img",
target = "hda",
files = "/bin/bash /home/x/ttylinux/id_rda.pub",
readonly = "no" ]

NIC = [ NETWORK = "test" ]

FEATURES=[ acpi="no" ]

So there are apparently enough resources to run the VM right? What could I
doing wrong?

The oned.log says nothing special:
Tue Nov 16 18:34:38 2010 [ReM][D]: HostPoolInfo method invoked
Tue Nov 16 18:34:43 2010 [ReM][D]: VirtualMachinePoolInfo method invoked
Tue Nov 16 18:36:25 2010 [InM][I]: Monitoring host cluster02 (2)
Tue Nov 16 18:36:29 2010 [InM][D]: Host 2 successfully monitored.
Tue Nov 16 18:38:56 2010 [ReM][D]: VirtualMachinePoolInfo method invoked
Tue Nov 16 18:39:02 2010 [ReM][D]: HostPoolInfo method invoked
Tue Nov 16 18:39:02 2010 [ReM][D]: HostInfo method invoked
Tue Nov 16 18:44:10 2010 [VMM][I]: --Mark--
Tue Nov 16 18:44:10 2010 [InM][I]: --Mark--

The user oneadmin can ssh without password to cluster02.
This is what my small_network.net looks like:
NAME = "test"
TYPE = FIXED

BRIDGE = eth0
LEASES = [ IP="x.x.x.x"]

is it okay to have eth0 as a bridge? and should I add more lease IPs?

I'm crossing my fingers that my explanation provides enough background. I
would appreciate any help. Thank you.
Zaina
Daniel.MOLDOVAN
2010-11-17 07:56:50 UTC

1. Where is the OS section of the virtual machine template?
2. What hypervisor are you using? With XEN the virtual machine might not
boot if the xen kernel was not loaded .

I am particularly using KVM so something like this is in my virtual
machine template:

NAME = vm-example
CPU = 0.5
MEMORY = 512
OS = [
boot = hd,
ROOT = hda
]
DISK = [
type = disk,
clone=no,
size = 1024,
format = ext3,
source= "/home/oneadmin/Desktop/vm/disk.0",
target = hda,
readonly = "no"
]

As for the network, i am using the "virbr0" bridge created by the
opennebula express install, not eth0.

Also, use http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel2.0:template for properly
defining a virtual machine template with respect to one hypervisor or the
other.

Hope this si somewhat usefull,
Daniel
Hi,
Zaina AFOULKI
2010-11-17 14:55:04 UTC
Post by Daniel.MOLDOVAN
1. Where is the OS section of the virtual machine template?
Indeed, there isn't one! I was blindly following the tutorial in
http://opennebula.org/documentation:rel2.0:vmg and the example given had
no OS section... anyways I added one now.
Post by Daniel.MOLDOVAN
2. What hypervisor are you using? With XEN the virtual machine might not
boot if the xen kernel was not loaded .
I'm using KVM.
Post by Daniel.MOLDOVAN
I am particularly using KVM so something like this is in my virtual
NAME = vm-example
CPU = 0.5
MEMORY = 512
OS = [
boot = hd,
ROOT = hda
]
DISK = [
type = disk,
clone=no,
size = 1024,
format = ext3,
source= "/home/oneadmin/Desktop/vm/disk.0",
target = hda,
readonly = "no"
]
Thank you Daniel. I tried using your template and just changing the source
path, but I'm still facing the same problem.

One thing I noticed though is that in the node /var/lib/one/ has no
sub-directories with VM ids. There is no images/deployment.0 or disk.0
created? I wonder why? The oned.log still doesn't signal anything unusual.
Post by Daniel.MOLDOVAN
As for the network, i am using the "virbr0" bridge created by the
opennebula express install, not eth0.
How did you manage to use virbr0? did you make any changes to what was
done by default by opennebula? I can see the bridge virbr0 added to both
the frontend and node, but both have this same IP 192.168.122.1...

Thank you.
Zaina
Daniel.MOLDOVAN
2010-11-17 16:00:37 UTC
Hy,

Maybe there is a problem with the host. Onehost top/show does not indicate
an error on the host monitoring side? I am indicating this because
deployement.0 or disk.0 are created when the virtual machine is deployed
on a host(in prolog state). And have you tried to do a force deploy using
"onevm deploy vm_id host_id"? Because maybe you are using onevm create
(not "onevm submit") and the scheduler does not deploy the virtual machine
by itself.

I hope i haven't indicated things that you already have tried, but nothing
else comes to mind. A VM should work event if no network is specified for
it, so i think that the network bridge does not influence this.

Also, because the oned.log usually grows up fast you may try to delete the
one.db( and all other folders ) from /var/lib/one and the logs from
/var/log/one and try a clean test. Add a host, see if it is monitored ok
and then do a onevm submit and onevm deploy

best
Daniel
Post by Zaina AFOULKI
Hi,
Zaina AFOULKI
2010-11-19 17:56:25 UTC

As you advised, I tried a fresh install with virbr0 as a bridge interface
and NFS... I now seem to get the VMs running!

Thank you very much for your help Daniel!

Zaina
Zaina AFOULKI

Zaina
Zaina AFOULKI